Sunday, May 25, 2008

Women for Obama

Today we went to our local quasi-Catholic* Church for mass (not where we normally attend). 

A lady behind me, probably in her mid-50's, was wearing a "Women for Obama" button. So, I turned to her and said "If you want to put your own soul in peril, that is your business; but why, when our Church instructs us not to vote for candidates who are for the inherent evil of abortion, would you so blatantly show your dissent in Mass?"  Of course this conversation only happened in my head. Luckily she left just before Communion. I seriously don't get it...why would you wear that button during Mass???

*technically they are Catholic, we just don't much care for this particular parish...lots of blue hairs, very few families, lots of rude stares when I fold my hands during the Our Father (look lady, my entire family isn't holding hands WITH EACH OTHER, it is nothing personal against you), lots of rude stares when our family kneels THE SECOND TIME, I could go on and on...

6 people are laughing with me:

Anonymous said...

I would have said it out loud. But I tend to speak first and think second. Not to be dense, but what do you mean about kneeling the second time?

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

Hmm. I am not Catholic, although as a spiritually hungry teenager I went to Saturday night Mass all by myself every week and it is some of my richest spiritual memories. I still enter Catholic Churches when we travel in foreign countries to pray. I love that their doors are always open, just like our loving Father.

I go to church to commune, to worship to gather with others in Honor of God- The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I think this woman with the button came to make a political statement against the church and its stance for the unborn. (Duh) The Bible says, "'Vengeance is mine', saith the Lord". So she'll 'hear it 'someday.

Of course, you probably didn't really want to hear what I thought. It was just a rhetorical question, huh??

Regina said...

Paula, old school-kneeling after the Lamb of God. Most parishes stand now and only kneel the first time during the consecration. Technically it isn't wrong to stand but I like sticking with what I know and growing up we knelt twice, and didn't hold hands (or sing) the Our Father. And, I noticed her once the Mass started...no confrontation allowed ;)

TJ feel free to always answer, rhetorical or not. I agree about the political statement, though I think lots of Catholics have no problem openly saying they are pro-choice (just look at 'Catholic' politicians). Funny thing is Tug and I stopped by the store after Mass and I asked him if he had seen the lady with the button. He hadn't. We were leaving the parking lot as a car was entering. On the left front bumper was a sticker 'IMPEACH' on the right front bumper was a sticker 'Obama' so Tug laughed cuz if you read it left to right it said "Impeach Obama" so I looked over and it was the same lady.
r

Shelly said...

I would've been stewing the whole time at Mass if that someone were by me! Not the best "state" to be in before Receiving!

I get soooooo PO'ed when i see left/liberal bumper stickers in the church parking lot too.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Think that's bad, check out the post from "As We Wait in Joyful Hope" [in my blogroll] about the freaks in Minnesota!

Amy said...

I was sitting here thinking, Oh Regina, did you really???? LOL, she needs to hear it!

Christine said...

My husband almost said something similar to an elderly Catholic lady who had a bumper sticker on her car. Unfortunately, she left before he could reach her.