Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pain in the (r)ear

Thursday {l} got her ears pierced, which she has been wanting to do forever. All was going well until late yesterday when we noticed her developing a bit of a rash.  Behind her ears and slightly along her neck (not on her actual ears) she has reddish, itchy bumps.  Have any of you ever experienced this before and, if so, what can I do?? I think switching out the earrings is best but I heard piercing earrings are thicker to make the hole bigger . . . anyone know where to get hypo-allergenic ones?

I think someone has inherited her Dad's sensitive skin~big bummer!

10 people are laughing with me:

Keri said...

I love the title! hee hee!
My oldest was determined to have her ears pierced. We tried for YEARS. They were constantly infected. No matter if I was using gold posts, hypo-allergenic posts, etc. And we cleaned them several times a day as well. We tried for 4 years with a break in between and re-piercing. No luck..... we have finally given up.
I hope your dilemma works itself out!

Keri said...

oh...Now the youngest refuses to try. And that's okay.

Heather said...

I haven't heard of that before, poor girl. Did you call the place that did them to ask? I'm sure they've had it happen before.

Best wishes!

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

She was probably sensitive to the alchohol that they cleaned the surface with. It's a little harsh when they've only ever been washed with soap or shampoo. It strips the oils too much. My girls are like that too. Just use cort. cream on the rash, keep cleaning the hole/earring with the solution and a cotton swab. Maybe give her one dose of benedryl for the rash and I'll bet she clears up just fine.

Sara said...

LP got her ears pierced at the tender age of 5. Since KT has always been sensitive to everything except 14K gold, we made sure to use that with LP. Turns out she's sensitive to that and does best with sterling silver! Once, a pair of "hypoallergenic" earrings got embedded in her ear because it was so badly infected and I didn't notice. Yikes.

But, now I just keep an eye on what she wears. Cheapo stuff that she really wants to wear needs to be changed at night for sterling.

I think l's rash is not an infection from the ear piercing. More likely something else she came in contact with, like Laura said. It should be fine w/ cortaid.

Erin said...

Poor baby. Her auntie had major problems too. Just ask Tug! It's family lore . . .

Mimi said...

My youngest is allergic to metal, and we realized by the nasty red bumpy rash on his chest when he wore his cross.

That, and the nasty red bumpy rash on his belly where his belt buckle hit.

Do you think that's it? I'm so sorry to hear, your poor daughter.

Aubrey said...

Ooh, poor L. I get rashes from wearing jewelry too. The only things I've been able to wear without getting an itchy crazy rash are my engagement ring & wedding band, both gold. I can wear my 4-way medal, which is covered in gold, if I remember to take it off every night. Otherwise...you got it...I itch because parts of the surface have been worn off. I'd go with what Laura suggested first. The Hydrocortisone cream might help. If not, maybe switch to gold? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Of course you know what I will say. use Lavender. I didn't get my ears pierced until age 40 and had infections for over a year. (didn't know about lavender at the time!) Many places carry allergy free. I usually have to wear gold. I would love to buy her a pair, when you find them. Perhaps you can go on line and find some.
Let me know, Granny JuJu

regan said...

my s struggles with earrings all the time. she can't even seem to wear the hypo-allergenic ones without a problem. i know mine bother me sometimes toom, but i think all you can do is experiment with diff. types and hope it works out. it seems so unfair that little girl ears are not immune to this sort of thing. it really gets in the way!
so sorry.
ps. i always tell my girl that is probably the hardest thing about being a woman, most things hurt-high heels, plucking your eyebrows, and, oh, let's see... umm, CHILDBIRTH!!!! it only gets worse!!!=)